(Ὀγχεσμός/Onchesmós). Port in Epirus, today's Sarandë (Hagioi Saranda) in Albania. O. served as harbour for Phoenice, the main city of the district of Chaonia. In Roman times, O. was the ferry port between Epirus and Italy (Cic. Att. 7,2,1; Str. 7,7,5; Ptol. 3,14,2; Dion. Hal. Ant. Rom. 1,51,2).
P. Cabanes, L'Épire, 1976
N.G.L. Hammond, Epirus, 1967.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Strauch, Daniel (Berlin),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 23 September 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e831100>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510