Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Vitudurum
(154 words)

[German version]

Vicus or late Roman fort at modern Ober-Winterthur (in the canton of Zurich in Switzerland). At the end of the 1st cent. BC, a station ( Statio ) was established there on the road connecting the Roman legionary camp in Vindonissa and the Raetian centre in Augusta [7] Vindelicum. In the two first centuries of the Roman Imperial period, V. grew into a vicus with a Gallo-Roman temple district, baths and a residential quarter. When, with the abandonment of the limes (III.), Roman rule in Germania collapsed, Diocletian had the old east-west connection secured by expanding the vicu…

Cite this page
Walser, Gerold (Basle), “Vitudurum”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 18 February 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e12206320>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲